Tuesday, October 29, 2013

McCalls 6619 Belle Costume Pattern Review


Pattern Description:
CHILDREN'S APRONS, HEADPIECE AND WAND: Aprons have shoulder straps, self-lined bodice, waistband, pleated tie ends, and gathered skirt with overlays. Purchased trims. B: bustle. C: peplum. A and D: flower/leaf. C and D: applied ruffles. Note: instructions are given to create headpiece and wand. 
Pattern Sizing:
Child S, M, L
I cut the small view D in an S/ 3-4. It was a lil big on her cause she wears a 3.
 Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes there were but there was a lot of hemming and gathering.
 What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I did not care for the hemming and the way the bottom ruffles were done. I felt like it could have been done easier with the amount of steps for this view. Toward the end a started making my own changes. I’m not into hand sewing lots of trim. To attach the ruffles I did them upside down right sides together. Folded them down and machine stitched the gimp trim over the seam. It came out perfectly flat.
Fabric Used:
I used costume satin from Joann’s. I hate costume satin!! There I said it. That fray check gives me a headache. :P I used gold gimp and yellow lace and sequin trim from eBay.
 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would if I had to make a costume or some fun dress up clothes. I would use the other views instead. View D takes a lot of effort for a good outcome. My princess wanted to be Belle so I put it in. I do recommend the pattern but there are ways to make it faster and even better looking.
 Conclusion:
Overall this pattern makes for a easy costume. I love that its apron style and makes for easy getting in and out of. Because it’s a lil big on her I have just enough time to add a hook and eye in the back top to help keep it up J
 
Thanks for checking out my review
Happy Sewing!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment