Sunday, September 1, 2013

McCalls 6743 Pattern Review and PrettyGirlsSew Sewalong

 
As some of my many friends know, I love Instagram!! I have my Bloglovin for my "news" and have Instagram for my "Entertainment & Funnies" ha ha. I used to just look at nail art and whatever my friends were doing at the time on until I started looking for more people in the sewing community. I have found that a lot more people are coming forth and enjoy the same interests that I do. All the work is ahh mazing. I love looking at other ladies fabric selections and stashes, patterns they are working on at the moment, & and how they juggle their passion and or businesses with family life.
 
I recently came across a group of ladies on Instagram called  Pretty Girls Sew. I love how these ladies passion for sewing. they make it "sew" fun. Lame.. yes yes I know. Lately I have been following their monthly sew along and wanted to give it a shot. For August they choose the McCalls 6743,. I went online to see the reviews on this pattern and there were none...... That was strange.. really none? Ive only seen a few comments about it but no finished products, so I wanted to see what can be done with it.


Screen Shot 2013-08-03 at 4.09.29 PM
Pattern Description:
MISSES' DRESSES AND BELT: Very loose-fitting, pullover dresses have bias neck binding, gathers, seam detail, and narrow hem. A: self belt. C: neck ruffle. D: binding extends into tie ends. B, C and D: shaped hemline, wrong side shows.
Designed for light to medium weight wovens and knits.
SUGGESTED FABRICS: Cotton Lawn, Jerseys, Crepe De Chine, Batiste.
 
Pattern Sizing:
Y (XSmall-Small-Medium)
I cut the Medium and made adjustments
 
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes.. then no. The directions for the neckline were all over the place. I figured it out and ended up taking it apart and top stitched it in place because it looked too tunnely.
 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It was kinda a pain making sure to cut the pieces right and put them together right without messing up the sides, expecially because I had a solid colored fabric. There are 3 pieces for both the front and the back. It makes sense because there's no way to cut one big piece to get all that fullness. But a pain none the less lol. 
 
Fabric Used:
I used Crimson Red Solid Jersey Rayon Spandex Knit Fabric from Girl Charlee
 
 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I shortened the waist by 2"and the hem by 3". Good thing because the drapiness and maybe even the bias still made it longer than I intended. I decided to keep the length as is. Baste side seams before finishing. I felt the armholes were really low; unless you are going for that look. I also stabilized the armholes. Wish I did the same for the neckband because it felt heavy even though it was a lightweight fabric. 

 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Maybe in the shorter view but no more asymmetrical hems. One is good enough for me. Sure, I would recommend it.. its cute with accessories. I feel like it looks kinda lake a muumuu without them. The cut make for a very flowy skirt so be careful of drafts, I opened my door to go outside and the wind swept it way up lol.

Conclusion:
The dress is flowy and fun. Accessories are a necessity in my mind. Just be mind full of joining the seams on asymmetrical skirts because it can trip you up a little, or at least just me lol. The neck options could have been written better too. Otherwise it was a great pattern. I love the red because its the only red I own now :) Cant wait to see all the other participant's dresses.




Love my Lil Helpers :)
Thanks for checking out my review
Happy Sewing

 


6 comments:

  1. It looks great. You've done a lovely job. Love the drape - must have been a real pain with all that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea lol. I had to kinda ball it up on the table so it wouldn't roll off and stretch while sewing it. It was hard to tell what was what before the straps were added ;)

      Delete
  2. That's really sharp! I'm full of red dress envy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really great. Love how flowy and light it looks. The belt gives it a lovely shape too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comments! I thought the neckline instructions were horrible especially since this is considered an 'easy pattern.' Dress not done yet but your comments were very valuable. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Thanks for your review, I am getting ready to make this dress.....not sure if I want to now...I havent been sewing very long and I do get stuck. I am going out of town next month and want something easy and cute...dont know..wish me luck on this one. Yours looks nice though

    Thank
    Stella

    ReplyDelete