Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Vintage Simplicity 1292 Pattern and Review

 

Simplicity Description:

Child's One Piece Dress and Jumper
Both dress and jumper feature an circular skirt and back button closing. Dress has short sleeves with rick rack trim on skirt and contrasting collar and cuffs. Jumper may be worn over the dress or by itself. It has a v shaped neckline; back neckline is rounded. Shaped pockets are sewn to skirt front. Tie ends, view 1, fasten in the back.

Pattern Sizing:

Size two but fits like a 3t

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes it did but different. ;)

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Not so, I struggled with the button back and threw it in my frustration pile for over a year. I winged it and made it my own way. Not sure if I followed directions. Made other changes to construction as well to cuff attachment. Apparently I put the peter pan collar on crooked too but I was not about to take it out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I was so frustrated with this project at first and let it sit for a while. Luckily the size ran larger than I thought and fit my daughter perfectly.  

Fabric Used:

Stretch cotton poplin from my fave place Girl Charlee. Which is no longer available.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

The cuff called for bias binding but instead I attached it to the wrong side, understiched it to the sleeve, folded it to the right side and then pressed it. I omited the rick rack. Ew!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Don't feel like I need another one even though she looks like a cutie out of Modcloth. Wish I had some funky retro glasses for the pics. Pattern is up for sale if anyone is interested in giving it a shot. Just email me for deets.

Conclusion:

In the end I feel like and experienced seamstress would do better than a beginner with this. Thankfully I had learned something during the year that it was sitting on the shelf and was able to complete it.
Thanks for checking out my review. Happy sewing!! ;)
 
 

1 comments: